Friday, February 20, 2015

Lightweight RazorSword - I Am Sure NY State Will Ban It Soon...

...or maybe it's already banned. I mean, after all, NY State Senator Tony Avella is currently trying to ban machetes so why not also ban this sword! Whatever the case in NY, the embedded video gives a brief demo of an interesting product, the Lightweight Razor Sword by RazorRazor that will probably remain commercially available in free states.



I have to say, it sure looks like a lethal surprise and as if it could be quite effective in a bad situation. Personally though, I would probably never carry one. Anything that apparently requires me to wear my belt, a does good the man in the video, without passing it through all of my belt loops would be problematic. First off - my pants would be falling, secondly - my strong side hip holster would not be secure or maybe not possible to wear with one of these belts as far as I can tell. Then there is the fact that some of the blades are laminate bladed. Laminate makes me think of the word separation but maybe that is just me who thinks like that - so enough said on that. Of course, there is also the fact that I am no swordsman.

The company offers a variety of such swords and also offers daggers to fit a similar style belt containment method. They all look deadly but even in the other videos I watched, videos showing the daggers and other swords, the belt seemingly was never placed through all of the belt loops on the guy's pants. It would seem at least next to impossible, if not actually impossible, to be able to rapidly deploy a sword or dagger so concealed if the belt went through all of the loops, especially through the most forward belt loops. Thus, my guess is that it is next to impossible to use the RazorRazor belt concealment system as a belt to properly hold up pants and securely carry a gun while also using it for effective concealment and rapid deployment for this sword. That is just my guess though and I readily admit, no I did not watch every one of the at least 54 (yes - fifty four) videos this guy has on the company's video page to see if he ever passes the RazorSword belt concealment system through all of his belt loops.

Regardless of how many videos this guy has, and if the belt passes through the loops or not,  I am not interested in these products enough for me to make an inquiry of the company. Not making the inquiry I just mentioned in that last, struck out, sentence would be less than responsible of me. So, what I just did was actually made a inquiry of RazorRazor via their contact page/form about whether or not the system can be utilized effectively while the sword belt concealment system passes through (under) all of the belt loops on a typical pair of trousers. I will probably repost any reply here on my blog as a follow-up post or comment within this post.

I am just stating my opinion here and will not try to encourage or discourage you from purchasing one of these items. Yet, I do recommend that if you are considering getting one of these systems and can't wait for me to receive and post that requested reply here, that you make such an inquiry yourself (if you want an answer in a hurry, their phone number is listed on the linked contact page) to determine if one of these suits your needs. My needs would be that the belt could be worn as a normal belt (under the loops) and still be effective to conceal the sword or a dagger while maintaining the capability of rapidly drawing the blade, act as a normal belt, and secure a firearm in a holster all at the same time; your needs might differ.

As for me, I think it not being under at least some of the loops potentially could be problematic in as much as I would foresee the sword (or dagger) possibly shifting out of concealment as you move this way or that way during the course of a day wearing it. Watch video 5 and you will see that merely turning the belt over and lifting it up a bit causes the dagger handle to pop out. Normally the front belt loops on your pants would prevent a belt from riding up or flipping over near the buckle. What is to prevent the belt from doing that when the belt does not pass under the loops - say as you climb in and out of a vehicle or do other activity that may cause the belt to flip and move up? It appears to me that nothing is preventing that from happening and that is another reason I am a bit leery of such a system but again that is merely my guess.

If anyone has personal experience with this sword containment system, it's utility and quality and how well it stands up after continued use, I encourage you to please leave a comment about your take on it. I am curious to learn more about it. In all, I think it could be a fairly effective way to conceal a sword or dagger and also be an effective surprise method of concealment and delivery for such a weapon within the limitations I see for it. As I said think I have already made clear, you can make up your own mind as whether or not to make a purchase and none of the above jabber is intended to persuade or dissuade you from legally purchasing any of these products.

As a side note, the next time you get into it with some dude wearing his belt without it passing through the loops, and he keeps fidgeting around the buckle - beware.

A Hat tip and my thanks to Kerry F for sending me the video.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: