Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A New Breakfast Favorite

I like bacon, in fact I love it. I have been known to eat over a pound (weight prior to cooking)of it at once with sides of eggs and toast slathered with butter. Yummy.

I also like other pork products for breakfast like smoked and fresh link sausages, quick browning frozen sausages and sausage patties. I've also been known to eat a steak or two for breakfast. I almost always have my breakfast meats with eggs and buttered toast and coffee - a heart attack waiting to happen. Of course if I eliminated just the toast (not necessarily the butter), it would be a healthy breakfast, at least as per the late Robert Atkins and his Atkins' Diet. I have, at times, lost weight when doing so - even when eating like a pig (or eating lots of pig or beef or lamb) so long as I cut out junk food and some other carbohydrates, like cutting back on beer and bread. I am on a similar diet right now and while I have not lost substantial weight yet,  I have ceased gaining (I had been gaining about 1-2 pound(s) per week for the past couple of months right before I started my diet. soon I will cut even more carbs and adjust portion sizes to just a little less (and I need to exercise probably at least twice a week, the only thing missing from my current diet as opposed to previous ones that worked before).

Along the lines of my current cutting back on the carbs diet, I tried a new breakfast combo today. I was trying to think of something that would be a change from the usual couple to three eggs and some toast, or oatmeal, and bacon and coffee. I came up with a new ingredient to combine with the old to make a tasty mouthful. While I was looking through the fridge, I realized no one had even touched the Kassler liverwurst I bought on Sunday even though the Hildeshcheimer and Goose liverwursts were almost completely decimated. So, I grabbed hold of it and was about to cut some pieces and throw them on slices of Bauernbrot when I thunk - whoa - slow down - do something really different. I decided to fry those slices of wurst in some butter, throw a couple of eggs in the same pan before the slices of Kassler liverwurst (contains bacon and slices nicely for the pan) were quite done, all while the bauernbrot was in the toaster. All I can tell you is that you need to try it yourself if you want to taste something truly worth risking a heart attack over. Now if only I had cut out the bread, it would have been heart healthy or so I believe. Anyway, the bread was the perfect accompaniment to the eggs which were likewise to the Kassler liverwurst. The coffee (hot, black and nasty) was the perfect thing to wash it all down. Then again, a good hefe Weiss might have tasted better with it but I am on a diet.

All the best,
GB


 

No comments: