Monday, September 15, 2014

It's Time To Get Another Bird Feeder...

...because since we took ours down a couple or a few years back, I have come to miss scenes like these right under it.

 
Yes, I was more than happy to feed all sorts of birds that visited our backyard. Some ate seeds and some ate the birds that ate the seeds - all thanks to me hanging a bird feeder from an old dogwood tree in my back yard.


A bird feeder will also give my dogs some good exercise. Mimi, our medium sized mutt, likes to catch them on the wing, as they take off. Then Roxie fights her for possession and if she gets the bird - down the hatch it goes. That was pretty much the excuse we sometimes give for getting rid of it, the dogs were getting the birds and the other half did not like it, not one bit (pun intended).

Really though, I think it had more to do with the pigeons that started to frequent our yard just a short while before we finally got rid of the bird feeders. That, I think, was really what made up our minds to remove the feeders. As far feeding the birds, we could have put up with almost anything: the cost of the seeds, seed hulls all over the place, weeds growing from uneaten seeds, a flock of up to maybe 100 birds chirping away outside our window, bird shit on the patio furniture, birds of prey swooping down and killing birds in the yard and then eating them right there, our dogs chasing and sometimes catching and eating birds - anything  - that is except a flock of rats with wings that kept coming by. Had we lived in a more gun free state, we would have been eating squab and that would have solved the problem. As it was, I had to get rid of the feeders.

Lately though, I miss all the birds - that is except for the pigeons - and I especially miss those hawks. I may just have to chance the return of the pigeons by putting in a new feeder, I can always take it down again if they come back.

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments: