Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Dogs At The BBQ

Last night, for most of the night, we had about 12-15 people at any given time early on and then later on at least 8 of us hangers on. We also had 7 dogs in the backyard for most of the party. Two were extracted by about 3/4 of the way through the night shortly after one of my daughter's and son-in-law's Chihuahuas puked all over my son-in-law and on the fairly expensive animal hide that was draped over the patio sofa.

My son was pissed - not pissed on mind you - just pissed off. It is his rug/skin and was fairly expensive. Luckily for him (and maybe for the dog) it puked on the skin side so should be easier to clean. As for my son-in-law's shirt, it did not fare that well and wound up in the trash. I guess that is what you do when you are an exec at a large department store since you can get your shirts at super discounts. I would have washed it had it been mine. Maybe I will anyway if I feel like dumpster diving in my own trash can. The other 5 dogs, our 5, remained.

Good for us and for our dogs, none of them got sick. I think the one that puked did so because it had been eating pieces of ribs that one (or more) of the folks at the BBQ was feeding to all of them and those ribs had a spicy rub. I tried to discourage that, but was guilty myself a little. I only give them the cartilage from inside so it has no or almost no spice on it but was guilty nonetheless. I guess Chloe probably got a spicy outside part though. Have to say though, she was not a happy camper earlier in the day when she arrived at our place with my daughter; maybe she was already coming down with something. Anyway, she puked a little inside and that was a warning but it was clear and not made up of food. Then when she upchucked outside on the skin and shirt - it was brown as molasses and about as foul smelling.

Oh well, such is life. At least the dogs are not hungover as far as I know. I sometimes let them have a little beer if they want it, never anything stronger and they seem to like it - sometimes. I guess it depends on the type of beer. As it was last night, I did not see them getting any from anyone - bunch of greedy drunks we were.

Mostly, the dogs hung out with us the length of the party. Mimi, our medium sized mutt went inside shortly after the other two left but Pepe (le Pew), Lucy and Abby our three Chihuahuas stayed outside as did Roxie our fairly big mutt. They seemed to be having a good time and it suddenly got better at about 1130 or so when my son showed up with a small tray full of bacon. Yummy, they liked that and we were lucky again they did not get sick because it had some sort of spice all over it. It was also nice and salty and thus began another round of drinks for we greedy drunks. Actually though, I had stopped drinking long before that myself and was not even fairly lit by then. Go figure.

I think that all in all, except for Chloe who got sick, the dogs had as good a time as the drunkspeople. Maybe next time I should let them have a few so they can feel the full effect ;>).

All the best,
Glenn B




 

No comments: